Monday, August 31, 2009

It's my moral responsibility to visit Taiwan: His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Sunday, 30 August 2009 23:55 Keary Huang, Taipei correspondent for The Tibet Post

Taipei: Tibet's spiritual leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama finally arrived at the Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport on today at night. The Taiwanese national polices have warmly received him as a president level, as well as his security. His Holiness smiled as he greeted Buddhist followers and supporters, Tibetans living in Taiwan. At the crowd, their slogans like "Dalai Lama, we love you."

His Holiness was expected to arrive an hour late, but, he arrived at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport at 22:51. Tibetans living in Taiwan have performed their traditional barley powders and offered white scarfs to express their warm wishes and auspicious. Ms Chen Chu, Kaohsiung City Mayor, Zhong Chia-Bin, deputy magistrate of Pingtung County and Tian Qiu Jin, a Taiwan's Democratic Progressive Party legislator also were presented Tibetan white scarfs to His Holiness.

Tibetan leader His Holiness the Dalai Lama has said his visit to Taiwan is based purely on humanitarian and religious reasons and he has no plans to issue political statements. "I'm a Buddhist monk, and when someone asks me to share their sadness, it's my moral responsibility to accept, to go there, so I came," His Holiness said after he arrived in Taiwanese Airport. "I have no political agenda."

"I've visited different parts of the world, and I may have a political agenda there ... (but) my visit here is purely for humanitarian concerns," I don't think so so my visit to Taiwan would cause tension between China and Taiwan," he continued.

His Holiness told reporters in India on Sunday, "I don't think that is so," as I am a "very strict nonpolitical nature."

His Holiness will go to the disaster area at 9:30 a.m. tomorrow and he has canceled a international press conference scheduled for 10 a.m. tomorrow, saying he would use the time to do more for the survivors. During the visit, His Holiness will hold two prayer meetings for typhoon victims - one in Kaohsiung and one in Panchiao, in northern Taiwan - before returning to India Friday morning.

Last Updated ( Monday, 31 August 2009 00:17 )

No comments: